This year for Dr. Seuss Day, instead of Green Eggs and Ham, we are going to have a good old gooey fun day and mix up some Oobleck! It's so easy to make and a blast for the kids. Just a warning-it can get a little messy but no more than cooking green eggs! I'd love to know how you are celebrating Dr. Seuss Day! Feel free to leave a comment or two with your creative ideas!
I just added a literacy unit to Teachers Pay Teachers that I know you and your students will love! It's based on the book Bartholomew and the Oobleck! Read below for the Oobleck recipe!
• 1 cup of water
• 1 to 2 cups of cornstarch
• Mixing bowl
• Food coloring (optional)
• Pour one cup of cornstarch into the mixing bowl
• Now pour the water in, mixing slowly as you go. Keep adding more water until the mixture becomes thick (and hardens when you tap the surface). Add more cornstarch if it gets too runny, and more water if it becomes too thin.
• Add a few drops of food coloring if desired. (It’s easier to add the coloring to the water before you mix it with the cornstarch.)
• Mixing can take a while and gets more difficult as the mixture gets thicker! Spoons can bend while stirring! Consider digging in and using your hands or calling on kids to do the mixing! Allow at least 20 minutes for mixing or do this ahead of time!